3rd May 2019 – having attained the age of 75 this day, Bishop Peter, as required by Canon Law, has formally tendered his resignation to the Holy Father, but he will remain as our bishop until a replacement is appointed, which could take around 18 months. Prayer cards whereby we seek the Lord’s help for the right appointment have been distributed to parishes. We are not the only Diocese facing a retirement: Bishop Hopes of East Anglia was 75 in March, and Archbishop Smith of Southwark reached that age last October.
Other Recent News
- Letter about the closure and reopening of our churches
- National Rosary Rally
- Catholic Bishops respond to Government’s lockdown easing plans
- Recognising the pain of Catholics unable to receive the Sacraments
- To those waiting to receive the sacraments
- Pope Francis Sends Condolences for Loss of Bishop Leo McCartie